In 2020, we focused our improvement efforts on transforming the streetscape of 2nd Street from Morgan Street to Doctor M.L.K. Drive along with 1st Street from the Eads Bridge to Doctor M.L.K. Drive. Here’s what that transformation project consisted of:
- Resetting 15,000 square feet of cobblestone road
- 12,000 square feet of road resurfacing
- Laying 20,000 square feet of new concrete
- Installing 85 new streetlights
- Planting 20 trees with tree well fencing
- Planting more than 200 perennials
- Installing 600 feet of iron fencing
- Rebuilding all intersections to ADA specifications
- Laying underground conduits for the future of high-speed fiber internet
- Installing new historic street signage for both traffic and street signs
- Roughing in an area for a downtown LED kiosk at 1st Street and Lucas Avenue
Together, these smaller projects worked toward making the neighborhood more walkable, accessible, vibrant, and better suited to supporting area businesses.
Katherine Ward Burg Garden
In 2020, the construction of the Katherine Ward Burg Garden on Laclede’s Landing broke ground as an addition to the Great Rivers Greenway district. The beautiful new garden will serve as a natural extension and complement the St. Louis Arch Grounds within the neighborhood. The half-acre plaza will offer a welcoming area for visitors and residents when they get off the MetroLink at the Laclede’s Landing stop while also brightening up the Mississippi Riverfront. Construction is expected to be completed in the spring of 2021.